Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tradio #2 - Ghost World

Today's Tradio is about the 1997 collected edition of Daniel Clowes' Ghost World - Now A Major Motion Picture!
The graphic novel collects the serialized strips produced by Clowes in his comic book series Eightball and tells the story of two friends as they begin young adulthood after high school.  Enid Coldslaw and Rebecca Doppelmeyer are two friends who are living pretty aimless lives after graduation and the series recounts their day-to-day happenings.  Hopping from one episode to another, we get the idea of how these two girls view the world.  Basically, they feel like the world is pretty stupid, that most people are pretty stupid, and they bounce from one thing to the next pretty pointlessly.  I won't give too much of the plot away (not that I am sure that is even possible), but they eat, they talk, they bitch, they fight, they move on.  The over-arching plot is basically just about these two pseudo-intellectual's friendship and how everything sucks. 

I didn't like it.  I liked the art and the sparce coloring did what it needed to do, but overall, I didn't like the characters and didn't feel for any of them.  They were too cool for the world and I never felt like I needed to care about any of them.  The only person I felt anything at all for was the minor character Josh, who both Enid and Rebecca use for their own purposes throughout the course of the story.  It is by far not the worst thing I have ever read and I can respect what Clowes was trying to do, but in the end, it wasn't for me. Short one this week.  Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment