Friday, July 1, 2011

Greg Lantern!

Well, I finally got around to watching Green Lantern.  So on a nice Thursday night, me and some random, middle-aged woman decided to see the movie at the 9:45 showing and it was...a movie.  Now, I am an admitted comic book nerd - I wear it proudly - but I have never really read very much Green Lantern.  Really only some Neal Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow issues when I was going up.  So I am familiar with the main ideas and the concept, but other than that, I really don't know details when it comes to Green Lantern canon.  That said, I pretty much had to go into the movie with an open mind, though I had heard plenty of people weigh in on the subject of the movie. 

Those eyes are so creepy!
Though I won't get too much into the details of the movie, summing up how I feel...well, I didn't like it.  There is some cool CGI and the costumes weren't as annoying as I thought they would be, but overall as a movie, I didn't have that good of a time.  When you are looking at your watching during a 100 minute movie, there is definitely something wrong.  Plot holes you could fly Mogo through and too much whining basically turn a concept that could be really cool, into just an overall boring endevour.  There were some bright spots.  Mark Strong as Sinestro was really cool and he seemed to do a good job with character though his coda during the credits didn't seem to totally make a lot of sense.

Bad Ass!
 Also, I liked Peter Sarsgaard' s Hector Hammond.  Of all the characters in the movie, his personality and motivation were the most explored and understood, really.  You really got the feeling why he was acting the way he was and in the end, it was very unfortunate what they decided to do with his character.  My only gripe is that he looked like the older brother of Rocky from the movie Mask.
Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Anyway, the rest of the movie was a mess.  Parallax was crap...literally.  Looked like smoking, smoldering dookie attacking the city...but more on that in another post.  Blake Lively was pretty but was not right for the part.  Ryan Reynolds was...well...Ryan Reynolds.  Not necessarily a bad thing, just didn't seem to fit with the character.  Overall, just a lot of wasted potential for something that could have been a big money maker for DC and Warner Brothers.  Oh well, they don't need another successful movie franchise, right?  right?  Anyway...see you at the movies, kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment