Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Tradio #54 - The Sandman: Endless Nights

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...oh...sorry...sometimes all this reading can be grueling.  That said, this week on Tradio, I talk about The Sandman: Endless Night which is written by Neil Gaiman with art by Glenn Fabry, Milo Manara, Miguelanxo Prado, Frank Quitely, P. Craig Russell, Bill Sienkiewicz, and Barron Storey and published under the Vertigo imprint of DC Comics.

Endless Nights is the first big collection of Sandman stories done by Gaiman after the end of the Vertigo series.  Each story is illustrated by a different artist and focuses on one of the Endless family.  Through differing time periods and differing perspectives we see new facets to each of the characters and though the stories can be read in any order, there is a through line in some of stories that interconnects them.  We get to see some of the earliest days of the Endless and meet the first Despair and Delight.  We begin to get a sense of what it is like in Despair's and Destiny's realms.  We get to encounter how the Endless have played a part in the lives of many people over time and how they may have shaped things throughout the DC universe.

Endless Nights is amazing.  The writing is some of Gaiman's best and the art is nothing short of amazing.  The stories are so fascinating and effortless that once you start, you will have a very hard time putting the volume down before you have read it all.  If I have one lament about the work it is that I wish Gaiman had spent more time in the regular series like this.  For all of the one and done issues that were in The Sandman series, there really weren't enough that focused on the individuals of the Endless family.  There seems to be a lot of good stories there and though I know that The Sandman was ultimately the story of Dream, his family was so integral to what made the book great as a whole and I would have loved to have gotten to know each of them better.  But I digress...this one is probably my favorite, but it would not have the impact that is has without all that came before it.  Give yourself a few hours and read it...seriously.  Next week...the end of the Summer of Sandman with The Dream Hunters.

No comments:

Post a Comment