Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tradio #46 - The Sandman: Dream Country

Hi again!  Summer is in full swing and I hope everyone is having a great and safe time.  Week 3 of the Summer of Sandman brings The Sandman: Dream Country by Neil Gaiman with art by Kelley Jones, Charles Vess, Colleen Doran, and Malcolm Jones III and published under the Vertigo imprint of DC Comics. 

Dream Country is a rather slight volume of four different one and done stories where Dream appears very little.  We are given a tale of a one hit wonder of a writer who finally finds his muse and is eventually driven mad by her, a story involving cats which is probably closer to truth than it is to fiction, a tale of young William Shakespeare putting on the performance of a lifetime in front of the most unique audience you can have, and the story of a young woman who is driven insane by her super powers.  Each story is illustrated by a different artist to reflect the tone of the story and each adds their own spin on the world of the Endless.  The volume also includes a script from one of the stories to walk us through what happens from the written word to the illustrated page.

Overall, I liked the volume, but it's length is disappointing.  Only containing four comics worth of work, it is short...no other way to put it.  The addition of the script is nice, but I am honestly not one to read scripts for comics.  I like to think that what we buy springs fully formed from the heads of the writers and artists and am a firm believer that sometimes it is better to not see what was left on the cutting room floor, so to speak.  Anyway, the stories are very good, with Calliope and Facade being my favorites.  The story A Midsummer Night's Dream is included in this volume and is an award winning story, but I honestly wasn't a fan.  It was OK, but I have a feeling that it probably would have meant more to me if  I had spent more time paying attention in my English Lit class in high school.  I got bored with it.  Anyway, happy reading everyone and see you next week for Seasons of Mist.

No comments:

Post a Comment