Saturday, September 17, 2011

Manny Both-Hanz Died To Bring Us This Information

So, Star Wars is out again.  This time on Blu Ray!  In all it's extended, special edition, HD, deleted scene added, Greedo shots first glory.  The only thing it seems to be missing is having it in 3D, but wait...that is coming to theaters starting next year, so in a couple years we will get a newer edition, I am sure, that will include even more tweaks to movies and you will be able to watch them in 3D in the privacy of your own home.  There is a big part of me that wants to run out and get the movies on Blu Ray now...and who knows, it may still happen...but I am starting to wonder what the point is anymore.  Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars.  A huge chunk of my nerdiness is based on those original three movies.  The movies, toys, comics, books, posters, stickers, lunchboxes, cartoons, video games, t-shirts, and other assorted swag have made me the man I am today in many ways and I feel that The Empire Strikes Back is one of the greatest movies ever, but I am beginning to lose my touch with these works of art.  Yes...I said it...art.  And like all art, it lives in the moment that it was created and reflects back to that time in history.  For the original Star Wars, it was very much a movie of the seventies.  It was a technical marvel of it's day, but over the years it's seams began to show as compared to movies of time and Mr. Lucas in all his wisdom has continued to tweak his masterpieces.  Like other works of art, a good cleaning isn't a bad thing and is welcomed in most cases, but he took it too far...and then continued to take it further.  Adding characters that weren't there, changing scenes totally around, taking out puppets to put in lifeless CGI characters have all made the works of art that the original Star Wars trilogy was into a mish-mash of changes that have only taken away the richness of those original works.  It has turned something timeless into something you can't really pin a time on.  The prequel trilogy suffers from this and always will given so much of the movies are made of sets and characters that aren't really there and hollow performances.  My point?  I guess I wish we had a choice.  I know Mr. Lucas has never been satisfied with his movies, but that doesn't mean that the people who grew up with them weren't.  Stop trying to force (see what I did there?) your vision on people who aren't asking for it.  The vision of your youth was better...aren't they always for most of us?

No comments:

Post a Comment